"Bart"-A Boy & His Duck - A Tribute to a Friend - That Special Gift During a Difficult Time - R.I.P. My Friend 08/25/2018






On 08/25/2018 Bart was taken from this world.  Hard to understand why?  He lived in a gated community of a 100 homes.  So either someone was just careless or even worse, cynical and intentionally ran him over, I'll never know the answer and it will be difficult to fill the void.  I found him Saturday around 4:00 pm  lifeless in the middle of the road were an indention in the asphalt creates small watering pool where I would find him typically hydrating himself.

It's been a rough year this 2018, many despairing and not so lucky occurrences so when I met Bart in early June it came as a gift, a bright spot in a very overcast time in my life, it was just what I needed.  Bart was your standard Muscovy duck.  Not much for beauty but that's only a surface thing.  He had an incredible personalty and he loved my company and I his.  He would come by everyday, in a religious manner and I'd feed him, spend a few moments and we both would continue on with our daily lives awaiting the next encounter with anticipation.

This continued on everyday and sometimes a few times a day, especially on the weekend, which was what happened that fateful day.  I'm not sure why or how but his presence cheered me up, brought a smile and joy to my heart and a clam and peace that was difficult to find this year - amazing how therapeutic animals can be.  It's strange how animals can have such a cheerful, calming, joyous effect on ones life - more so than money and material items, Bart was par of the family. Maybe it's that unconditional love and lack of judgment of who you are, what you look like or what you do or have done.


My last day with Bart. Always happy to see me and social.


One of the first few times we met - polite and gentle.


Always attentive.


Camping out and waiting.


Waiting around and patient.




Just having him around brought tremendous joy.



Many times I'd have to hide out but it never worked that well.  He knew he would ear me down.







That smile...


A friend of his - But almost all of the time he was a loaner.


This day he decided to camp out and wait for me in the front yard.  He was always not too far away.  He made sure to keep himself in eyesight of the house.





Finding a cool drink after a summer storm.




Always an inquisitive one - He was the smartest duck I have ever met.






Those eyes! always somebody home.





When I would look into his eyes  - there was someone there, it really was odd but he wa more than just a duck.



Some may find it strange or unusual but Bart certainly had an affinity for me and we really did have a special connection - we hit it off from day one.  That does not usually happen with a wild animal - that special bond of trust. This loss really hurts and is going to take some time, a long time... I will miss you dearly Bart - rest in peace my friend, and thanks for coming at a really hard time.

Comments

Popular Posts