Smokys: Lakeshore Trailhead/Hazel Creek (11/8-12/2017)


I do most of, if not all of the logistics when it comes to trip planning. That encompasses the total package from geogrphic location, route planning, camp sites, cook system, timing and weather observations.  The tools I have come to rely heavily on is Cal Topo and AllTrails for the actual route planning aspect and a number of weather sites, primarily NOAA websites. I augment that with blog sites to asses real-time trail conditions.   I call on the NPS Rangers multiple times and have conversations with them (you want to talk with the people that have "boots on the ground") to get the most up to date trail information.  This trip was no different, well there was one huge exception.  I placed way too much emphasis on my discussions with the Ranger(s) and did not spend enough research time on my mapping software (Cal Topo & AllTrails) blog sites to really get specific detail on the route selected.  This was the first time I deviated from the norm and we would paid for it in a very unexpected manner!

The Ranger reported there would only be one creek  "fording", the rest were either foot bridges or easy "rock hop" crossings.  No big deal, a breeze, NOT the case! One fording actually turned into 15!  Yes, fifteen and the water was cold/fridgid, luckily we brought "water shoes". I have never been so misinformed.  I'm not placing responsibility/blame on the Ranger, this error rests solely with me and my complacency.  I relied on the Rangers account of trail conditions when I could have (and shoud have) easily used my other resources.  I got too comfortable with what the Rangers reported to me.  Probably related to the great success I have had in the past.  That caused me to let my guard down instead of  relying on my instincts and doing my due diligence.

What made matters worse is that our travel time was slowed to about 1.5mph on the second day, never have we hiked so slow - that causes a cascade effect for campsite arrival time.  With a 12 mile hike that day and a trail start of 8:00am, that places camp arrival at around 5:00ish and sunlight would be scarce at that time.  We would end up chasing the light the entire day, not fun.


All packed up and ready to go.  The Forester makes for a great adventure vehicle!

Ahh, finally at our destination, the trailhead.



There are those all important trial shoes on the back of Shana's pack.  At this stage we had no idea how important a role they would play!  Matter of fact the frequent removal of our hiking shoes to the water crossing shoes became so redundant  we actually ended up leaving the water shoes on and hiking with them for about 3+ miles.  I don't recommend it but it did save us time.







This is an old access road used for logging during a period when the Smokyes where exploited for its' natural resources (lumber).


Black bear tracks.  Of all the times we have been backpacking in the backcountry of the Smokies and all the trail miles we have logged (~ 300) we have never seen one in person.  This was by the Lake Shore trail and right at the shore line of the lake.





The fall colors still holding on.  It was a nice time.  If we would have been there two/three weeks earlier, the leaves would have been popping in color.  But they would have still been on the trees, obstructing views.



Below is the culprit, Hazel Creek and the gauntlet of creek crossings/fordings to come.



I wish there were more of these nice convenient bridges, it would have made the trip so much more pleasurable.


A tranquil resting place for the departed.  Many settlers had claims on the NPS property before it was designated a National Park so you will come across many homesteads and the occasional cemetery.






Get that fire ready so we can be warm tonight!  Unfortunately the wood was so water saturated from recent rains we would not be successful in getting a fire started the entire trip.


Our first campsite and the calm before the storm.  The next day would involve all the creek fordings.  November/December is my favorite time to backpack (shoulder season).  Not frigid cold, no bugs or snow (usually) to contend with.  Obviously that depends on what part of the country you are backpacking.  If you are in Yellowstone/Glacier, all bets are off.  The closer you get to December the more unpredictable it gets.  If I were out West I would have brought my 20 degree bag verse my 30 that I brought on this trip.  With the added clothing I pack I can bring my sleep system down another 15 degrees (estimate) so if need be I wont freeze.  I might be really uncomfortable but I'll live.


My cook system for Shana and I includes the Evernew titanium alcohol stove, windscreen, pot stand, 1.3 size cooking pot and a carbon felt insulating top.  T-Rex has no effect!


Up on High Rocks Trail spur 5,600' - If it was a clear day we would have had exquisite panorama views of the Smokyes, unfortunately we were socked in for most of the early afternoon that day.  Timing is everthing.


Nate pondering life.


On the way up to High Rocks.


There was an old (I mean very old) abandoned Ranger overlook/fire tower.  Here is a pic of their living quarters or at least what is left of it.


Peering into time past.




A random chair set out to view the vista, just not today.


The trail sign and the spur leading to High Rocks trail






The first of many, many crossings.


Our home away from home.  I'm sold on using a Tyvek ground cloth.  Not much of a weight penalty and it is very durable.  Some complain that it makes too much noise.  I took the recommendation and washed mine several times.  That softened it up and made it much more supple and reduced the noise significantly.





And another.



This crossing was not enjoyable.



O' how I wish there were many more of these foot bridges.


And yet another.  I won't bore you with the fifteen pics, I think you get the idea.



At least on this occasion, it was just a rock-hop.



Normally this view and the one above would be hampered by foliage on the trees.  This is a perfect example of why I love the shoulder season so much.  All the views normally hidden/obstructed by the canopy of leaves open up to some fantastic views of the surrounding area.  Plus you get so much more light penetration.











Camp site, night three (#71).






Really Nate!


Comments

Popular Posts